Week 46/2022: A painful week
Week of 14 November 2022
A painful week
So, what would be the next fun thing that might happen after a couple of weeks of feeling flat, uninspired and unmotivated?
Oh, yes! My back could give out on me.
Which is, of course, exactly what happened on Monday morning when I was walking in to work juggling my backpack, laptop bag and umbrella. Because it was raining. So when my back suddenly seized up and spasmed and I was shrieking in agony, there wasn’t anywhere dry I could go to put everything down except my workplace.
It was a most uncomfortable day and I was grateful for the (probably out of date, I didn’t look) anti-inflammatories in my desk drawer that got me through the day.
Through some miracle (probably a last minute cancellation) I managed to get a doctor appointment the next day and she told me to take the week off. She said I shouldn’t stay in bed like I wanted to but that I needed to keep moving and to not sit for more than 30 minutes.
Don’t sit for longer than 30 minutes . . . How many times have I heard that recently?
It’s one of those things I’ll start off the day knowing I have to do and I’ll get up a couple of times. Then after an hour or so, I’ll get caught up in something that takes longer than 30 minutes and before long, I haven’t moved for a couple of hours. I need to stop doing this!
22 for 2022 update
I kept up with my reading challenge (thing 21).
I finished one of the blog posts I wanted to write this week, which was about the Clarence City Council Chambers. Lil Sis and I visited it during the Open House Hobart weekend. It was the only building we were able to get to that weekend and I’m glad that, if we could only get to see one place, it was one as wonderful as this.
You can read the post and see the photos here.
22 for 2022 summary
- Things completed to date: 9 (8, 10, 11, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22)
- Things completed this week: 0
- Things I worked on this week: 1 (21)
- Things in progress: 7 (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 12, 21)
- Things not started: 2 (14, 16)
- Things I’m not going to do: 4 (4, 7, 9, 15)
What do I want to do next week?
I’m setting my sights very low. I want to focus on getting up every 30 minutes.
What was the best thing about this week?
I had some time with Kramstable this week. We went out for lunch and watched some of the videos he made a few years ago. They’re always entertaining.
What did I learn this week?
I learned about sloths. The most interesting factoid was that sloths’ organs are attached to their ribs so they don’t crush their lungs when the sloths are hanging upside down.
What am I most grateful for?
I’m really glad there is nothing seriously wrong with my back and it’s getting less and less painful every day.
What I’m reading this week
- The Little Red Writing Book by Mark Tredinnick
- Tranquility by Tuesday by Laura Vanderkam
- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
- Morning ritual (Goal = 7): 6
- Move before 3 pm (Goal = 7): 5
- Morning writing (Goal = 7): 0
- The Little Red Writing Book exercises (Goal = 5): 0
- Listened to writing podcasts (Goal = 2): 2
- Controlled breathing (Goal = 7): 6
- All six physiotherapy exercises (Goal = 7): 0
- Mental health break outside during my work days in the office (1 day): 1
- Finish work by 5.30 (Goal = 0): 0
- Shut my computer down before 9.15 (Goal = 6): 6