Week 43/2022: The week that wasn’t
Week of 24 October 2022
The week that wasn’t
If there were a prize for the worst week of the year so far, this week would win it hands down.
It was my first five-day work week for a while and I had to spend two days in an office I don’t function well in.
I was exposed to someone with covid outside of work on Monday and I’ve been worrying about that all week, even though I was wearing a mask and it was a big space and I didn’t spend a lot of time close to them. The more I learn about this disease, the more I don’t want it, and I’m deeply uncomfortable with the way it’s being managed. Or not managed.
I had an eye specialist appointment on Friday. These appointments always make me anxious and distressed, and the experience made everything too bright and too loud. I felt really light headed for the next three days.
Then on Sunday, I slipped over in the mud that the chicken yard had become after all the rain and landed on my sore arm. It really, REALLY hurt.
My body just went, nope, this week isn’t happening. So I didn’t get a lot of my stuff done. I’m trying to be okay with that and to not be disappointed, to recognise that I need time to look after myself and to take that time. And to drink more water. I’ve not been good at this in the past. “I have to get things done” is a hard mindset to change but I’m trying.
22 for 2022 update
This week I wanted to do some work on Tranquility by Tuesday, write a post about that, and to decide how to proceed with the nutritionist (thing 2). I did neither of these things.
22 for 2022 summary
- Things completed to date: 9 (8, 10, 11, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22)
- Things completed this week: –
- Things I worked on this week: 1: (21)
- Things in progress: 7 (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 12, 21)
- Things not started: 2 (14, 16)
- Things I’m not going to do: 4 (4, 7, 9, 15)
What do I want to do next week?
I want to keep working through Tranquility by Tuesday and get back to the nutritionist.
What was the best thing about this week?
Remember a few months ago I learned about the flight of the bar-tailed godwit? This week I saw a report about a new record that a five-month old godwit, tagged 234684, that set out from Alaska on 13 October and flew at least 13,560 km non-stop before touching down at Ansons Bay in north-east Tasmania after 11 days and one hour of flying.
Apparently, this one had no idea where it was going and took a wrong turn.
These birds are legends!
What did I learn this week?
I learned how to get the back off a Mac Mini computer. I had no idea this was even possible. I also learned how much dust accumulates in a computer after ten years.
What I’m reading this week
- The Little Red Writing Book by Mark Tredinnick
- Tranquility by Tuesday by Laura Vanderkam
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- True Stories by Patti Miller
- Morning ritual (Goal = 7): M, T, W, T, F, S, S (7)
- Move before 3 pm (Goal = 7): M, T, W, F, S, S (6)
- Morning writing (Goal = 7): M, T, F (3)
- The Little Red Writing Book exercises (Goal = 5): W, T (2)
- Listened to writing podcasts (Goal = 2): W (1)
- Controlled breathing (Goal = 7): M, T, W, T, F, S, S (7)
- All four physiotherapy exercises (Goal = 7): M, T, W, T, F, S (6)
- Mental health break outside during my work days in the office (2 days): M, F (2)
- Finish work by 5.30 (Goal = 4): T, W, T, F (4)
- Shut my computer down before 9.15 (Goal = 6): F, S, S (3)