19 for 2019: week 9 update
Week of 25 February 2019
After my two mid-week posts, it’s time for my regular weekly update on 19 for 2019.
You most likely would have seen my posts last week about starting my 30 days alcohol-free (thing 13) and how I’m using that to try to get to bed earlier. Cleverly, I picked one of the longest months, which also happens to have five Fridays, five Saturdays and five Sunday, which are the days I’m intending to restrict drinking to once this month is over. (No drinking on a school night!)
March is also the month I’m taking part in the Cancer Council’s March Charge fundraiser by walking 300 km in March (15,000 steps a day) as well as trying to get more sleep by going to bed earlier. The three are all linked, because to be able to walk 3000 steps per day more than I normally do (that’s about an extra two km), I will need more energy. To get more energy I need more than six hours sleep a night; to get more sleep I need to go to bed earlier; and to go to bed earlier I need to cut out drinking so I don’t get caught up in that “just one more”, “oh, I’ll just watch this YouTube video”, “I’ll have quick top-up because the video hasn’t ended,” “this video looks interesting, I’ll watch that while I finish my drink” . . . “oh no! It’s 11.30 and I have work tomorrow . . .” spiral.
So. Today is day four. Day one was helped a bit by the fact that I felt really unwell on Friday and didn’t want anything to drink.
Day 1 (Friday): Alcohol: 0 | Steps: 15,180 | Bedtime: 10:40
Day 2 (Saturday): Alcohol: 0 | Steps: 15,858| Bedtime: 10:50
Day 3 (Sunday): Alcohol: 0 | Steps: 19,324| Bedtime: 10:00
It’s a bit soon to be drawing any conclusions at this stage. I also need to work out a fancy tracking system so I can keep track of things.
In other things:
- Photo course (thing 1): My flash arrived so I completed assignment 11.
- Read 12 books (thing 5): I completed book 9 (2001 A Space Odyssey), which is my fourth fiction book. I’m now reading books 10 and 11, both of which are non-fiction.
- I got a new electric oil burner to replace the one I smashed and am keeping it in my room rather than the bathroom so if it gets knocked off it won’t shatter. I’m trying out different scents to see if any of them affect my mood or my state of mind. I did some of the journalling work this week (thing 6).
- Photojournal (thing 11): I printed weeks 30-48. I stuck a couple of collages in the book. This is really a low-energy task that I have to remember to do if I get a few moments when I’m not sure what to do, rather than reach for my phone and get sucked into social media.
- 33 Beers (thing 12): Book 5 completed. (5 down, 5 to go) I appreciate the irony of the fact that I am having a month off alcohol yet spending time updating a spreadsheet of all the different beers I have tried over the past four years.
- Lightroom (thing 19): I’m still using it.
Status for week 9
Things completed this week: 0
Things I progressed: 7 (1, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 19)
Things in progress I didn’t progress: 2 (2, 16)
Things not started: 6 (3, 4, 10, 14, 17, 18)
Things completed: 4
- Thing 9 (9 January)
- Thing 8 (21 January)
- Thing 15 (1 February)
- Thing 7 (12 February)
You can expect me to be posting more frequently in March with updates on the no-alcohol challenge and how I’m going with my walking.