Departure minus 8 hours or so

Departure minus 8 hours or so
Hobart, Australia

Hobart, Australia

It’s almost time!

What I thought would be a relaxing day at home casually ticking off the last few things to do before I left was anything but. First up today I’d promised Juniordwarf I’d watch a movie with him, so we sat down together to watch it. That was nice, and he told me more than once how much he’d miss me. I felt the same, yet somehow it didn’t seem possible that the same time tomorrow I’d be in Melbourne getting ready to board our international flight.

I got the suitcase out of the cupboard and thought about starting to pack. I got the bag I was going to use as carry on and did the same.

The couch was covered with stuff I thought I might need. There was clean laundry I hadn’t bothered to put away because I knew I’d be taking it with me.

On my study floor was a collection of cables, chargers and neatly labelled ziplock bags.

I had coffee. I pottered around. I finished off a couple of things.

The suitcase sat there.

Finally I could put it off no longer and started to pack stuff. I ticked the things off my packing list as I put them in. This wasn’t so bad after all.

The clock was ticking down until we had to leave, but there was heaps of time.

We had lunch.

The clock kept ticking.

I’d promised Juniordwarf I’d do some things with him like make a map of where we were going so he’d know where we were. I had to get that done.

Then I remembered I’d said I was going to finish my tax return. Things started to go downhill fast. It wasn’t pretty. I’m so grateful to have a son who’s able to give me a big hug when I’m not coping. He looked worried about me and not for the first time I felt terrible about leaving him.

The clock kept ticking, I started to weigh packed bags and realised I had too much stuff.

So the unpacking, shuffling and changing carry on bags began. Not for the first time I wished I’d started packing a couple of days ago. This is Serious Business.

Finally I thought I’d done it, and suddenly it was time to go. No time to double check I’d packed all the cables and chargers I needed (I had) or change my mind on the number of pairs of leggings I’d packed.

A check that my passport really was in my bag, I had my wallet and travel documents and it was time to go.

We went out for a farewell dinner with Lil Sis, Mr Tall and my mum, and then it was time to say goodbye to Juniordwarf and Slabs.

Juniordwarf had been telling me all day how much he was going to miss me, and this was hard. It’s the longest that any of us have ever been apart. I’ll miss them both. I didn’t want to let him go, but I had to.

And so here I am in Hobart for the night, with Mum’s Taxi booked for 5.30. I’m getting ready for a 5 am wakeup, feeling more relieved that I made it to this point than excited.

I know it’s only a couple of weeks and it will be fun to try and Skype Juniordwarf. I know he’ll be fine and that I can’t let my feelings get in the way of having a great time on a trip that I’m very lucky to be able to take.

I need to make the most of this and enjoy it, because it’s not like I’ll get the chance to do it again any time soon.

He will be fine. I will be fine.

Bon voyage!

Share this